Last week, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared an end to the war against ISIS and we join the international community in celebrating this significant victory! Together, we must seize this moment to make sure that peace in Iraq is sustained in the near-term and endures for generations to come.
With your help, we are focused on supporting Iraqi civil society– those on the frontlines of their country’s recovery – by providing advocacy, information, and skilled volunteers.
Here are a few highlights of this work since our last update:
- our launch of the Connection Initiative which brings together Iraqi-American volunteers with civil society organizations in Iraq who need their time and talent;
- a podcast episode with Dr. Mustafa al-Hiti, President of the Reconstruction Fund for Areas Affected by Terrorist Operations, on how Iraq will restore and rebuild,
- an interview with Iraq scholar Fanar Hadad on how personal and political identities have changed since 2014, and what that means for policymakers in Baghdad,
- a report on the ways corruption, insecurity, and demographic change have handicapped development in some of Iraq’s most promising regions and the opportunities that now lie ahead,
- a podcast conversation with the Washington Institute’s Bilal Wahab on what comes next for Iraqi Kurdistan following the controversial September referendum on independence,
- an interview with Renad Mansour of Chatham House on the prevalence of popular militias and their relationship with those who govern,
- mentions of our work on reconstruction policy and aid for displaced families in Middle East Insights, The Conversation, and in an important report by Refugees International, and, of course…
- our weekly ISHM reports released each Thursday, which provide a brief digest of the latest security, humanitarian, and political developments in Iraq.
Thank you for taking advantage of our content and contributing your support for on-the-ground relief. I hope you will consider making a year-end charitable gift to EPIC today to sustain our efforts on behalf of Iraq’s future.